When you’re busy, stressed or distracted, climate change or the state of the planet can be the last thing on your mind.
You might have enough on your plate at this time but it doesn’t take much to make a difference. Need some inspiration? Read on!
Earth needs your help so don’t delay, begin today.
The right time is now and Earth needs everyone on board.
If this is all completely new to you, remember to:
Park the perfectionism.
- Perfectionism sets you up for failure. Earth needs you to succeed.
- Life is challenging so aim to do the best you can, when you can.
- Make one change and stick with it. Once it becomes a habit, make another change and so on.
- Being positive makes it easier to focus on your goals.
- There are so many benefits to helping the planet. For starters you are helping to protect Earth for future generations.
- Doing your bit can even save you money and help you stay healthier.
Wondering what you can do?
Where are you sat right now? Look around you. Everything you see was created using something supplied by the planet. Earth is running out of stuff and creating new products comes at a great cost to our environment.
There are so many little ways you can help. Here are a few ideas to help get you started:
Buy what you need, not what you want.
- Think about this one and be honest with yourself. Believe it or not, freeing yourself from the need to buy unnecessary stuff can leave you feeling more in control of your life and, of course, save you money.
Do your homework and make wise decisions about the products you buy.
- Ditch the disposables in favour of durability and longevity.
- Always do your research and check a company’s record in relation to after sales and spare parts.
Refuse, reuse, up-cycle then re-cycle.
- Earth’s resources are valuable so don’t waste stuff. If you don’t need something, pass it on.
Waste not, want not!
- Don’t feel stingy or mean. Instead, remind yourself every day that being wasteful with anything supplied by planet Earth is a crime.
- Get creative with new recipes for using left over food.
The problems with plastic are well documented. Plastic has its uses but it’s vital we reduce our dependency on it. You will be surprised how quickly you will find more ways to reduce plastic once you get going.
- Take note of the amount of plastic you use on a daily basis and see how you can reduce this. It truly is easier than you think.
- What about using a shampoo bar? Use soap bars instead of liquid soap. Opt to buy loose fruit and vegetables when possible. Could you swap plastic wraps for glass containers when keeping food in the fridge? Invest in reusable shopping bags.
- If it becomes necessary for you to buy a plastic product, do a bit of research then choose one that you believe will last and serve your needs for a long time.
This fantastic 2 minute video will convince you of the madness of using disposable cutlery- https://www.facebook.com/greenpeace.international/videos/the-story-of-a-plastic-spoon/10155879578523300/
- If you are the only person waiting on the elevator, choose the stairs instead. Alongside helping to save energy, you are choosing the healthier option.
- Similarly, choose public transport when possible. This offers you another opportunity to improve your fitness and save money on fuel and parking charges.
- Don’t over eat. We all know that over eating is bad for our health. Reducing our portion sizes will also help the environment.
Set realistic goals that you are likely to achieve.
You are not going to get it right every time and all you can do is your best.
It can be confusing trying to figure out what’s what! You are not alone here. Even something as simple as choosing a re-usable bag can be a minefield! Whether it’s plastic, paper or cotton, there are reasons for and against whichever material you choose.
Decide which type of bag will suit your lifestyle best and go with it. If it’s right for you, you will be more likely to use it for a long time. I like cotton bags because they’re washable, strong, lightweight and long-lasting.
These two shoppers are over 20 years old and still going strong
Climate change is in our hands
The reality is that we’re all in this together. We all benefit but the planet needs us all to make a start, however small.
You might not be able to afford an electric or hybrid car, or change your home heating system or install solar panels. That doesn’t mean you should give up. Every little positive change you make can make a big difference in the end.
And don’t forget that your actions might inspire others to get on board also.
Begin today and just do it!